Monday, June 8, 2009

T-Minus 4 days and counting....

The countdown to our first official family vacation with two kids has begun! I'm in full "running on all cylinders" mode. In my past life when I wore high heels and cute clothes to work everyday (and reapplied my lipstick after lunch) I would operate at a high level the entire work week. My piles and files would disappear. My call-back list would be done. I was highly motivated and happy knowing in a few days I would be "outta here." I guess the point would be to feel something or other inside to motivate you to do this all the time and not just "week leading to vacation." However, I'll take what I can get!

I'm a self-admitted O.C.D. organized, neat/clean freak so I find myself doing things prior to vacation like making everything really nice and clean and organized so when I return from vacation I can skate for a few days and just deal with general overall "vacation is over let-down" and laundry from the trip. So anything that can be washed in this house today was washed! Bedding, blankets, kids cuddle blankets, afghans, changing table covers, cradle sheets, crib sheets, bed sheets........Wooooo! I admit this is a little crazy. However, it makes me secretly happy on vacation.

I am even scheduling in some time for full floor cleaning (yuck, dreaded task) so when I walk in the door from vacation I can see the gleaming, shiny clean hardwood. Look, these sorts of tasks were learned at a young age. My Great Aunt Ruth taught me to get your house in proper order before you depart for vacation and it's like a gift you give yourself upon return. I have some sort of genetic disposition for running a tight ship. It's why motherhood possibly came easy for me. Now, the "stay-at-home" part may get old, but I question if I could adapt to a cleaning lady. HA! Just kidding. Once the book deal comes through that is first on the list my friends! I might be good at it, but I'm willing to give it up!

So I've got lists made and errands to run and bags to pack. Next week at this time I'll be drink in hand with friends and kids a long long way from here enjoying every second of it. I'll be in the middle of no-where so I'm not sure if that is any different from my mom's house! Posts may be few and far between but possible.

My blogging research continues and I'm reading a great book. This is the woman who makes $40,000 a month in advertising on her "most popular website" on the internet. "It Sucked and then I Cried" How I had a baby, a breakdown and a much needed margarita....by Heather B. Armstrong, creator of dooce.com. Thank god I have perfect angel baby children and did not indeed have to have a breakdown post-partum!

1 comment:

  1. Have fun on your trip!!!

    I meant to leave a comment on your last post re: Lauren's glasses.... well I got my first pair around age 4 and my mom never ever let me get wire frames, I've had every imaginable type of plastic frames.... even blue ones with the alphabet (my mom swears I begged for them). I was even outfitted with one of those granny glasses string things in case they fell off my face. I think my 2nd grade school photo has that horribly embarrassing evidence (my mom will never live that one down). Needless to say I don't remember breaking many pairs and still prefer the plastic frames today and interestingly enough I was never tortured or teased in school and I've got some thick lenses!!

    Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete