Monday, July 13, 2009

A change of scenery...

There is NOTHING like a little time away to bring the goodness back to mom-dom. As a stay-at-home mom the burn-out rate seems high. But then I think of the alternative....the 'ol 9-5 corporate gig....egads. Been there, had a baby, went back, thought I would die, done that.
So, please understand I thank my lucky stars and husband for this big fat delicious opportunity to be with the babes 24/7. However, everybody needs a little time away....(wasn't that a good 80s song by Chicago? 8th grade dances?)

So bless the in-laws for taking the kids for an overnight stay....wow. (Evan's first night away from me!) On Sunday morning I was looking for my husband and found him in a room we rarely use. (one of those "formal sitting room" spaces that is so low on the priority list of decorating and proper furniture for that is basically Lauren's toy room) I was like, "what are you doing?" He replied, "enjoying the silence." My sentiments exactly.

We got dressed up, dropped the kids off and headed to the city for a lovely little couples baby-shower. Now the city used to be a regular jaunt for us. My sister lived in the city for years and thanks to her and her large group of friends that became our friends I had more than my fair share of incredible times in the city. (largely dosed with alcohol and involving bars!) Now it seems like that life was so long ago. But it still felt cool to see that city skyline. It just never gets old. I feel cooler, electrified in some weird way when in the city.

We visited with friends we don't see often enough, ate great appetizers, drank wine and I just felt good. No children demanding a dog-gone thing. WOW. We slept in, or at least tried to. NO LIE. We don't have the children waking us up and a stinkin' woodpecker is pecking a machine gun sounding peck right outside the bathroom window. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Then my stinkin' cell phone battery starts dying and beeping. Again, this is a joke! We did however fall back asleep and I slept until 9:30! NICE.

We finished off the mostly kid-free weekend by playing tennis, going for a walk and going out for breakfast. A quick trip to the outlet mall and kid pick-up by 2:30 pm. What more could you ask for?

I highly recommend some time away if you can get it! I am refreshed and ready to be a better mom (or at least for today!)

No comments:

Post a Comment