Friday, April 9, 2010

Sinking into a good read...

Once in a while a book comes along that just speaks to you.  My sister recently forwarded to me a youtube video that spoke to me called
"Trancending" ~words and woman on strength~

Kelly Corrigan is the author of "The Middle Place" which I promptly read. The above video is her reading an excerpt from that book. If you are a mother this book will speak to you.  I assure you.  Reserve it at the library right now! 

My sister and I are continually talking about the extreme highs and ridiculous lows of parenting and all that it entails.  This book speaks to that topic in a profound and funny, realistic way.  I cried.  I laughed.  It was like I could have wrote this book.  Spoiler Alert:  (minus the breast cancer diagnosis of course)

Kelly now has a second book out called "Lift" which is written as a letter to her children.  It is only around 90 pages and you can read it in one setting.  (how good does it feel sometimes to just read a book, albeit LITTLE, in one setting?  oh, I find it delicious!)  Now, as a writer, I again feel like I could write this book.  Not coming from a place of "I'm so great" but from a space inside my heart that knows I am capable of speaking my truth.  That is all Kelly is doing.  That is all any great writer is doing.  Speaking their truth.

Everyone was sleeping last night and I snuck into the bathroom to read a few more pages.  I got to page 50 and 51 I started crying hysterically.  I could speak these words as my own.
"Mothering you is the first thing of consequence that I have ever done."  OMG.  Rip my heart out and stomp on it. 

Trust me.  Get both books.  Read them.  Enough said.
: )

1 comment:

  1. I read The Middle Place the day it came out. I cried through the whole thing. Did the same thing with Lift. Cried again. Her story is amazing...while I waited for Lift to be published, I knew it wouldn't be the same as The Middle Place, but I was still dying to read it. I didn't think I could...but I love her more now.

    ReplyDelete