Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What book has had the greatest impact on your life?


Ever since I was a child, since the second I could read, I've had my nose in a book.  My daughter is right behind me and I love it!  I feel like being a good reader is one of the keys to success in life.  So, when I saw this incredible campaign on http://www.blogher.com/,   I had to share.  Please check it out!

Here is an excerpt from blogher:

BlogHer and BookRenter, a company that rents textbooks to college students, have joined forces because we know that books makes a difference.

From May 3-28, together we are working to make a difference in children's lives by generating new books for children who need them most -- via the nonprofit organization First Book.
Want to help? For every answer we receive in the comments to the following question, one book will be donated:
What book has had the greatest impact on your life?
That's right: All you need to do is leave a comment, and BookRenter will donate a book to a child in need -- up to 1,000 books.
Want to help even more? You can blog about our campaign, then add the specific URL of your post to Mr. Linky and we'll add another book to the tally.

Now, as for my book....wow.  It's ridicuously hard to just pick ONE!  At each phase of my life I fell in love with so many books.  I find that the books that I cannot part with and are on my bookshelf today are possibly the ones that had the most impact.  Here are a few that pop into my mind:

~Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
I remember reading the last paragraph out loud to my mom and she went to get my dad so I could read it to him.  Now that I am a parent I totally understand this.  I could read and read well and something about these words spoke to my mom.  Here is the last paragraph.  I can't tell you how many times I've read this paragraph.  When I see this book anywhere I immediately go to the last page and read this.  (and it will always bring a tear to my eye!)
"Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both."

~The Girls of Canby Hall Series by Emily Chase (Scholastic Publishing 1984-1989) 
I could read two in a weekend and would beg my mom to take me to the mall to go to B. Dalton to buy the next in the series.

~Night by Elie Wiesel
This book is based on Elie Wiesel's experience as a young Orthodox Jew sent to a German concentration camp.  This book disturbed me and changed me in so many ways.  To think that human beings can hate on this level, all seen through a child's eyes is amazing.  Also, that someone can literally survive a living Hell and not have hate in his heart and serve the world

~The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
The story is about a year in the life of a young black girl in Lorain, Ohio named Pecola. It takes place against the backdrop of America's Midwest as well as in the years following The Great Depression.  Another book that changed my life and made me look at race in a new light.

~Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I read this book in Mrs. McKesson's 8th grade English class and was just lost in the tale of 19th Century England.  As a girl living in a small town in the Mid-West, this other world of the book enveloped me and spoke to me and my spirit of adventure and to travel.

~Simple Abundance by Sara Ban Breathnach
"A daybook of comfort and joy" with a daily reading that I followed for one year.  It taught me how to be more in the moment and find happiness in the mundane tasks of life.  I looked forward to reading each day's passage.

~Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
One woman's search for everything across Italy....this book spoke to me on so many levels.  I've been Elizabeth in stops and starts throughout my whole life.  I do not hold out hope that a movie will ever be as good as a book, but we do have Julia Roberts playing Elizabeth Gilbert this summer in the movie debut!

~The Hours by Michael Cunningham
An homage to Virginia Woolfe, this story intertwines her life with two other women.  Fantastic!  I will admit I saw (and own the movie) first and then read the book and it did not disappoint.  A great book to movie translation.  I have attempted to read Virgina Woolfe's "To the Lighthouse" several times but it didn't take. 

Now, I will also include with my love for Judy Blume in all her glory.  Pretty much any book by Judy was devoured by me in my youth.  AND, do I really, really go there and mention the "Twilight" series?  Okay, KIDDING.

Happy reading!  It's the best escape ever!  Please post a comment and let me know your favorites! 

2 comments:

  1. You had me at "The Girls of Canby Hall", and thanks for the memories of begging the parents to go to B. Dalton! As for my favorite, I'm a fan of any & all Jane Austen, but my fave is "Emma".

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wilbur never forgot Charlotte."
    You are my Charlotte

    ReplyDelete