Saturday, July 3, 2010

For the Love of Books....

I've kinda been in a "reading slump" (as I call it) since the whole Twilight series.  (I know, I know....but if you haven't read the series, don't knock it 'til you've tried it)  I have checked out numerous books from the library and read a chapter or two and just didn't get that "feeling" and ended up returning them.   You know the one....that feeling you get two sentences in that makes you want to hole up for days and just read.  I love nothing more.  But alas, with two kidlets 24/7 that just isn't happening these days.  So when a book comes along that draws you in and you get wrapped up in the characters, well.....that's just about as wonderful as my child being gone all day today playing with her neighbor friend.  : ) 

Remember "House of Sand and Fog"?  It was an Oprah book club pick that later became a movie with Ben Kingsley and Jennifer Connelly.  The book to movie adaptation was actually quite good.  I'm usually so disappointed.  Well, Andre Dubus III is the same author.  He is fantastic and this book got me over the slump! 

I read most of it on vacation in Trout Lake and really that's amazing because I was drinking with Kelly and doing puzzles or taking care of kids or  prepping food, etc.  But each night I would put Evan to bed at 7:30 (it was the thereafter that I would SIGH a huge relief and commence with more eating and drinking and fun times much, much more relaxed!)  and wait around the cottage for a bit to make sure he was fully asleep before going to the main lodge and I would sneak in a chapter or two.  One night Kelly came up and said "Are you reading your book?"  I was all like...."um, yeah...but only while making sure Evan is really asleep!" 

I would sneak in a quick read everytime I could.  Another thing that makes this book great is the short chapters.  LOVE THAT!  I am the kind of reader that pages ahead to see how long the chapter will last and sometimes even how long the next one is so I can plan my reading operation accordingly!!!!

So if you are in the need for a good read, check out "Garden of Last Days."  You will not be disappointed I promise.  I cannot find any summary to provide you without giving away all the goods.  So read the back or inside cover to see if this is your kind of read. 

Have you read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett?  I picked it up today for $1.25.  (It's not in paperback yet)  My sister's book club just read it and she can't stop talking about it.  I also got "I See you Everywhere" by Julia Glass (author of "Three Junes" which I read a few years ago)  $1.00 at a garage sale.  I'm delighted with my bargain books and I'll let you know how they turn out. 

Enjoy your summer reading!  What are you reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment