Monday, July 12, 2010

Kickin' it Old School....

I've told you before about my love of vintage Tupperware.  Well have I shown you this beauty yet?  My mom's vintage (circa 1975?) avocado green cake carrier.  And you bet that I used it yesterday to carry my rum cake in to a picnic!  I was GIDDY to use it.  Oh for the love of my mom's old Tupperware.  It just makes me happy.
Here's the EASIEST and BEST recipe EVER!

RUM CAKE:
1 box butter cake mix
4 eggs
1 large box of instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup rum
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
Mix and pour into a bundt pan
Bake for 40-50 mins at 325 degree oven
TOPPING or GLAZE for top of RUM CAKE:
1/4 cup rum
1 cup sugar (I find powdered sugar works better)
1 stick butter
Melt butter in sauce pan
Pour in run and sugar, stir and bring to a boil
Reduce heat and stir for 5-6 minutes
Let set up a bit before drizzling down the top of cake
Cool for 30 minutes before serving and this also allows the glaze to set

I must admit that I began cake preparations yesterday morning and realized I did not have rum in the liquor cabinet.  (yes, I have a liquor cabinet and I love love love it!  My husband calls it a "dry bar"...EVEN better!  I don't even drink all the liquor in the cabinet but as any good hostess or friend, I like to have lots of stuff on hand in case somebody requests it!  Shocking to find out the rum was gone!)  So, I simply used something else...Christian Brother's Brandy.  I swear to you I couldn't taste the difference from the rum.  My father-in-law said he could taste the brandy and loved it.  My sister-in-law then commented "Well, he's a brandy connnoisseur!" 
I also have used Hennessey in the cake for a friend who loves cognac.  Another friend used Kahlua.  I am convinced you can use any type of liquor and it would be good!  But, you let me know!  My best pal told me today that she used a box chocolate cake and chocolate pudding with Captain Morgan's spiced rum!!!  She wanted to use Malibu and add toasted cocout on top of the glaze but her husband hates coconut.  So mix it up and give it a try. 

And when you see vintage Tupperware being used, make sure you comment to the owner!  It makes us very happy!  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment