Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Abacus Action....

Let get started on today's home schooling lesson~  The abacus, also called a counting frame, is a calculating tool used primarily in parts of Asia for performing arithmetic processes. Today, abacuses are often constructed as a bamboo frame with beads sliding on wires, but originally they were beans or stones moved in grooves in sand or on tablets of wood, stone, or metal. The abacus was in use centuries before the adoption of the written modern numeral system and is still widely used by merchants, traders and clerks in Asia, Africa, and elsewhere. The user of an abacus is called an abacist.

So before Christmas Lauren and her Grandmother took an all-day fun fest trip to Ikea where she got an abacus.  It's been around the house since then with no real interest from either child.  Kinda just another thing for me to step around or pick up! 

Now that pre-school has begun and Lauren goes all day, three days a week, I was expecting way more actual "learning" to be taking place.  But alas, pre-school seems like "fun-time Charlie" time.  And maybe I'll feel this way about public school too, but husband and I have decided to take matters into our own hands.  I'll work on the reading and writing to amp up the skills she already has, and hubs will work on the math side of things.  (I am not licensed!)

So Lauren got herself a little journal and every night Dad and her work on "equations."  Well I am telling you folks that if I had been given this leg up with an abacus I might function with less fear in the math world today!  Those are equations that hubs wrote down and then Lauren works them out on the abacus and writes the answers in.  It's also a good way to work on writing her numbers and learning the larger numbers.  SHE LOVES IT!  (who doesn't love attention from Dad and a special project?)  She writes her own equations down now too.  She likes to make up stuff like, "How many years until I'm 13?" So we help her turn that into an equation. 
Here she remembered that 6 + 4 = 10 without having to do it on the abacus!  We were cheering and high-fivin' like a big 'ol math geek family!  (And as hubs always says....."Geeks rule the world."  Hmmmmm.....might have to admit he's right and geeks are cool.  I heart geeks!
So it's been home schoolin' fun up in here!  Lauren is learning math, having fun, and it all takes away a bit of my disillusionment about school...

1 comment:

  1. Trisha,

    I love your posts! I totally agree I <3 geeks! We recently have had to do the same thing with Lupita. She started K3 this year and it is for only 3 hours a day but we felt like there is just not enough learning going on. I do agree that it is good for her to learn to stand and wait, raise your hand when you want something, and learn to work in a group setting...but... So we also started workbooks at home and she does her writing and reading lessons at home with us. Dad also helps and gives ladybug stickers out once the work is completed. I must say it also comes with a popcicle. :) Not that we think she is a genius or anything like that...but they are so eager and willing to learn...why not RUN with it. She wants to read and write, we haven't touched math yet. But she wants and asks to do her homework. Why not jump on that train and ride it. Not sure how long it will last. Hope all is well. Keep the posts coming. I love reading them. Paz

    ReplyDelete