Friday, September 17, 2010

Warp Speed....

Lauren wearing my Mom's wedding dress

I can kid about this all I want, but REALLY, Lauren's wedding day is closer than I realize.  She is going to be FIVE in November and I swear I was just pregnant with her.  I remember being aournd ten years old or so and trying on my Mom's friend Gail's wedding dress.  Our family and friends were staying at Gail's cottage which we called the "Harbor House."  There was a mystery trunk in the loft.  One of those old cool black trunks with brass hinges and a lock.  All the men picked (and eventually broke) the lock open and inside was Gail's wedding dress.  I was giddy to try it on.  What I remember most about the moment was not the dress or the veil or anything but how my Mom burst out crying.  I was so mad and embarassed that she was crying.  I just didn't get it. 

Fast forward 25 years or so and I GET IT.  I try to be more patient, more understanding, more in the moment.  I try to look at her little face and listen more attently.  I TRY.  It doesn't always work.  I live in the same world you do.  We try to do too much and get lost in the rat race of life.  It's just normal.  It's what happens.  But I do get that that time just flies.  And I'm going to blink my eye and my little red head will be at this juncture.  I am so excited to be on this journey with her.  To get to that place together.
Look at her expression!  Love it!
And I love you Lauren.

(Oh, and I forgot to mention that this damn dress does not fit me!  I was convinced it would slip right on!  My mom was like 125 pounds on her wedding day.  Hmmmm, yeah.  Not sure I've ever been that weight!  But we had some great laughs as I kept saying to my Aunt Sandy, "Come on, zip it up!"  "Come on, you are lying!  Zip it up already!")

No comments:

Post a Comment