Monday, November 22, 2010

Book Review.....

I just finished reading Unbearable-Lightness by Portia de Rossi.  I read it in about three days.  It can be described in one word:  RAW.  It was disturbing and yet as I read it I knew this was Portia's last purge.  Purging of this information that will now transform her life even more.  Some of Portia's self-torture and rituals were difficult to read.  Her self-hatred was almost unimaginable.  (Once again confirming that self-esteem and self-love are the keys to life in my book)  

I have never had an eating disorder, yet I was drawn to this book.  I knew it was much more than a book about anorexia, bulimia and addiction.  Portia does an incredible job of taking you on her journey.  I was right there with her every step of the way.  

In the epilogue I found my favorite statement in the whole book.  "You don't have to be emaciated or vomiting to be suffering.  All people who live their lives on a diet are suffering."  Portia mentioned on Oprah that people think the  "last five pounds" will be life changing.  It isn't and never will be.  

This was my favorite paragraph:  "If you can accept your natural body weight-the weight that is easy for you to maintain, or your "set point"-and not force it to beneath your body's natural, healthy weight, then you can live your life free of dieting, of restriction, of feeling guilty every time you eat a slice of your kid's birthday cake.  But the key is to accept your body just as it is.  Just as I have had to learn to accept that I have thighs that are a little bigger than I'd like, you may have to accept that your arms are naturally a little thicker or your hips are a little wider.  In other words, accept yourself.  Love your body the way it is and feel grateful toward it.  Most important, in order to find real happiness, you must learn to love yourself for the totality of who you are and not just what you look like."

All in all, I would recommend it.  It's an easy read and one you will find many gems in among the destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment