Friday, November 12, 2010

Oh, to love a pillow....

How can someone fall in love with a pillow?  Yes, a pillow.  Not just ANY pillow mind you, but this pillow:
And then there is the other side of the pillow:  (different pattern on the other side=more obsession):
I got this little gem at Goodwill still in the plastic packaging. And I could feel in my heart that this was no ordinary pillow.  No sir-eeeeee.  
This is a "Nettle Creek" pillow my friends.  And I had no idea what that meant but knew I was onto something.  (insert laughter here.....)  And do you see the "macro setting" on my camera in action here?  Still not perfect, but I keep trying.
So usually when you Google something a million things come up and you have to wade through all the info.  Yeah, not so much with the "Nettle Creek" company but based on this old ad I found this little pillow is a true-blue child of the 70s.  LOVE.  "The Art of Decorative Pillows" by Nettle Creek.  And that phone you see above?....we had that in almond and the wall-hanging version in avocado.  Rock on.  I was born in 1971.
Now, back to my pillow.  See that decorative piping around the edges that makes the pillow so fancy?  Ah, how do I love thee?......let me count the ways.
I also found this other Nettle Creek gems on Etsy. (If you don't know what Etsy is, check it out. It is described as "a social commerce website focused on handmade or vintage items as well as art and craft supplies. These items cover a wide range including art, photography, clothing, jewelry, edibles, bath & beauty products, quilts, nick-knacks and toys."  
And this gem was on ebay.  (No explanation necessary!):
All seem to have that delightful 70s vibe that I adore.  I mean velvet and an owl?  GET OUT.  NOW.
And this is a super high-quality pillow with a side zipper and removable insert.  And did I mention it was BRAND-SPANKING new in a plastic "Nettle Creek" bag?  FOR $3.99 people. I mean GET REAL.  And I regret to mention that I was all like "where are you gonna put it? it doesn't match anything.....you don't need it....blah, blah, blah" in my head at Goodwill with Lauren riding around on a bike (so not cool..........waiting for someone to yell at me) and Evan wanting me to hand him yet another truck or dozer from the toy pile.  Lord bless Mother's who shop with kids.  Ahhhhhhhh.

As as side note:  Evan has a new trick.  What I like to call "Houdining himself out of a shopping cart WHILE strapped in.  But that is another post.  

So there it is folks.  The story of how I fell in love with a PILLOW.  Something about it just speaks to me.  I adore it.  I look at it and it makes me happy.  And have you ever noticed how much freaking money pillows cost?  My BFF Nate Berkus.........(.insert "Cuteness Factor HIGH" here) tells me that sometimes I shouldn't question it if something speaks to me.  I think he'd support me and my pillow.  And until I'm willing to "go there" and start buying cashmere sweaters and recovering pillows, I'm gonna stick with my resale/garage sale/Goodwill hunts!
Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. adorable pillow, i like the owl pillow its cute, i will find that design for my kids..

    Kids Decorative Pillows

    ReplyDelete