Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup from PW

Lovely photo from Cave Cibum
Okay, I'm just going to direct you to PW (The Pioneer Woman, blogger extraordinaire, author, cattle rancher, home-schooler, shall I go on?) and all her amazing photos of her chicken-tortilla-soup and you will see the soup and all the soup toppings in all their glory!  But here is my finished soup with a lovely steam rising from the pot.  It was DELICIOUS with a big fat capital D.  If you are a fan of this style of soup, this one is a winner.  You must try.  Not too spicy, even though me and my husband love the spice.  I did add 1/2 of a fresh jalapeno pepper AND some frozen roasted corn from Trader Joe's.  I think it adds a nice sweetness.  I also squeezed 1/2 of a fresh lemon into the pot near the end.  A little acid from the citrus suits me quite kindly.  (I'm channeling PW here.  She is from Oklahoma and has a bit of the Southern thing rockin' from what I've heard when she had a throw-down with Bobby Flay.)
A little black bean, garlic, sweet corn, rotel tomato love!  But really, the toppings MAKE the soup!  Per PW's suggestion, I added:  red onion, avocado, cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.  And the real kicker here is to take corn tortillas and toast them up nicely in a pan with a drizzle of olive oil.  Then slice them up and add them to the top of the soup.  My husband was dying!!  He was so delighted by the "fried" corn tortillas that he just ate one while eating his soup.  I also suggest a cold beer (we had Rolling Rock) while eating the soup.  ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment