Friday, January 7, 2011

Of Utmost Importance....


What would happen if we really just loved ourselves the way we are RIGHT here, RIGHT now?  I read this article from BlogHer entitled "Thoughts on Being a Pretty Fat Girl" and had to share the goods.  Seriously, stop right now and read this.  

This is my favorite quote from the article:
"People will be attracted to you if you love yourself. That is a fact. And it often has very little to do with your actual weight. Because when you love yourself: You stand differently, you smile like you mean it, you extend kindness and warmth because you can see outside of your little shell of pain, and you dress in a way that is both comfortable and flattering instead of trying to hide your body away or make it something that it’s not."

Since January is the "standard issue" month of deprivation from the over indulgences of the season, I suggest we try a different approach.  Can we STOP beating ourselves up about everything?  Can we stop deciding if our day will be good or bad after we step off the scale in the morning?  Can we live a life of freedom from a stupid number that can fluctuate because we had a few drinks last night or didn't take a bowel movement yet????

In the past year or so I have found a freedom from much of what plagues the average woman.  Nothing is "off limits."  I eat what I want, when I want it.  I listen to my body.  I drink alcohol.  I eat at parties.  I enjoy fruit and veggies and whole foods as much as I can.  I mostly eat meals that I've prepared at home vs. eating out.  But I still eat pizza or fries or a sweet treat if I crave it.  I work out as much as I can.  But even the workouts have changed.  I am loving yoga.  I don't need to beat myself up with a long run or cardio session from hell just to feel like I've had a "good enough" workout.  

And you know what?  All that self-love has manifested itself into a body that I can really accept.  Sure, I'd love thinner thighs and hips that aren't as wide.  I'd love svelte calves.  But it's not realistic.  I am not going to go under the knife and I cannot change my basic DNA.  This body is strong and healthy and I gave birth to two babies.  My body did that!  I can move furniture and haul heavy objects up and down a flight of stairs (so I don't have to wait for my husband to do the job!)

Maybe it's because I'm turning 40 this year.  Maybe it's maturity.  Maybe it's all the good work on self-esteem my parent's instilled in me.  Maybe it's just ME.  Maybe I just want to live a life of freedom.  Maybe I want to wear a swimsuit and not care what anyone else's opinion is....After all, shouldn't my opinion of myself be supreme to anyone else's?  Heck, everyone else is too worried about their own crap to care about what little 'ol me looks like in a swimsuit at the beach.  I want my daughter to love every inch of herself.  I don't want her to have a list of food that makes her "bad" or "good."

And I have to tell you that all "this" has made me way more fun, funnier, happier and way more attractive to people.  My self-love is like a magnet to other people at parties.  This past holiday season I had more fun than ever before.  I attended parties and just. had. fun.  I was MYSELF in and out.  Comfortable in my own skin. I was driving home from a party and thought, "Wow, I haven't seen her in years.  She's really changed.  She's so much fun now."  And then it hit me.  It was ME that changed, not her.  It's what I bring to the table now.

I LIKE MYSELF.  Try it!  See how it creates major shifts in your life!  

No comments:

Post a Comment