Monday, April 11, 2011

Red Velvet Monday....

Alfred Werber was a fashion designer who created designs from 1930-1970 based in St. Louis and created designs for many big-name women during the 1960s...
I wore this lovely little red velvet dress in high school. (circa 1988 or 1989!)  This dress was my Great Aunt Ruth's (she's one of the  coolest people I know and she's 78 years old)  Ruth wore this dress back in her day.  My boyfriend's name was Larry and we went to dinner.  I thought I was all that and more.  I was all ga-ga for this boy, this dress, this evening out.  
Here's the back of the dress...
While home a week ago, she relinquished the velvet wonder back to me.  I can still fit it into..........a-hem, all the way up to maybe 2 or 3 inches of the zipper.  Not bad for an almost 40 year old with two kids!  I was kinda delighted!  So although I won't be wearing this dress again, I dream of Lauren wearing it and sharing the story/tradition with her.  I am a sucker for a vintage label.
What I thought was funny about the dress was the inside seams.....they are all rough and raw edged material. (I'm sure there is a name for this but I'm not a seamstress!)  I love the history of this dress and it just makes me happy to look at it hanging in my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment