Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Living Picture....

While on vacation in June to Trout Lake Resort in Grand Marais, MN, one of the Trout Lake family members via friendship, Ingrid (from Shawano, WI) had arrived and set to work on her plants, plantings, flowers, etc.  Basic beautifying of the outdoor space!  I found her whittling away at a branch one morning and later saw where it went.  Ingrid calls her work "Living Art" and it later is put on an easel to welcome guests as they arrive at the Trout Lake office.
"Before" the planting!
I love this stage....so many possibilities!
Does it get any more fantastic?  I adore this idea and apparently Ingrid is right in line with all that is trendy, because in the July edition of Better Homes and Gardens this month, I found this exact technique with a step-by-step guide!  What I love most about Ingrid's (which I didn't see in BH&G, was the use of that lovely turquoise pitcher) Make a living succulent picture here.  
This is the BH&G one.
How about a wreath?  LOVE IT!
To make this beauty, go here.
These are all made using succulents.  Succulent plants, also known as succulents or fat plants, are water-retaining plants adapted to arid climates or soil conditions. Succulent plants store water in their leavesstems, and also in rootsGeophytes that survive unfavourable periods by dying back to underground storage organs such as tuberous rootscormsbulbs, and rhizomes, may be regarded as succulents.

With this heat, the only thing I could muster doing is something inside with the AC on full blast!  This might be it!!  

1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the succulent things! Especially the wreath... maybe someone I'll try to make my own they were selling a local street fair for $60+

    ReplyDelete