Monday, September 26, 2011

Classic....

This may be the last remaining pair of ear plugs straight from the stashes of Scott Paper Co. in Marinette, WI!  (Compliments of the late Tom Kushman I might add!)  When the hubs and Evan went to Marinette/Menominee a few weekends ago (ah, the glorious girls weekend it was!) he returned with some random goodies from my mom's house.  I came across these ear plugs and had to smile!  They are a vintage treasure (in my humble opinion!)
I get a kick out of these instructions:  ROLL~INSERT~HOLD!  I think my mom has seen the disgusting pair of earplugs lying around the house that the hubs using while cutting grass (when he remembers!) They are gross!  In true mom-like fashion, she's always lookin' out for us!
And for those of you who can't read, we have a full illustration of how to ROLL~INSERT~HOLD!  I love it!  I have fond love-hate memories of all those summers I spent in college working at the paper mill.  Thanks to the nepotism policy (you could only work at the mill if you had a parent working there!) I left college 100% debt free.  And that is amazing!  Those long hot summers of work reinforced in me the desire for a college degree and to get the hell out of that small town.  I could literally feel myself getting itchy to leave, to travel, to experience life, to grow, to change, to break free~to quiet all those voices inside myself telling me this wasn't gonna cut it.  I needed more.  I was more.

College was the first stepping stone to "leaving the nest."  So much has changed since the early '90s. (I graduated from college in '93)  It was a life-changing experience.  I loved it.  I wish the same for my children.  It's a magical time in one's life.  I just turned 40 and it's exciting to start a new list of dreams for myself.  To figure out "what to do with my life."  That feeling never goes away.  And if it does, I think I've stopped being true to myself.

Here's a shout out to Oprah (miss you!  miss your show!) and "the one thing I know for sure":  I shouldn't have worried or cared so much about what other people thought about me. And, I had really incredible parents and to this day I know I can always go home.

And all this from a little 'ol pair of earplugs.  I love how that happens!

1 comment:

  1. My 16 year old nephew is taking a Financial Peace class in high school. He asked me last week if I had taken out any loans for college. Thanks to good ole Scott Paper Co. that answer is "NO!" Love/hate was the exact way I would describe those experiences, as well. In the midst of it all, I recall lots of laughter. I now know what an important piece all those summers at the mill played into the work ethic I have today. What a blessing to walk away without debt and a college degree in my hand. Great post! Great walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete