Tuesday, September 6, 2011

You say tomato, I say tamahto....

That's an Ikea bag, er, BUSHEL of veggies!  (mostly tomatoes)  $14.00 from a local "you pick your own" farm.  It SEEMED like a good idea yesterday, until I realized what that entailed this morning!
 Step 1:  Clean the buggers off~they were muddy and dirty...
 I separated out the Roma's and the little guys.... (not sure why!)
Step 2:  Score the bottoms....
 These were ripe and ready to use!  I had to get down to business quick.
 No flash here....I keep trying to figure out how to better use my camera.
 Step 3:  Set up blanching station.....
In a nutshell, I'm blanching all of these to remove the skin. You quickly dunk in boiling water which magically makes the skin peel off easily.
You know how Rachael Ray always says, "Take a dip in the hot tub" to her veggies?  Yep, I hate it too.  However, it seems so fitting here, I just had to mention it.

Step 4:  Remove from boiling water (you only need a minute or so in that boiling water) and add to cold water...
 Step 5:  Figure out what to do with all these TOMATOES!!!
I froze a bunch to use in the dead of winter for chili or spaghetti sauce.... (I'll appreciate my efforts then!  Now, yeah, not so much!!!)
And these became a big kettle of spaghetti sauce that simmered away on the stove all day.  I still have a big bowl left as I ponder their use.  But that's enough for today!
I roasted a ton of other veggies too.  Now, what to do with all these?  I'm thinking of putting them into olive oil and adding to sandwiches, dips, pasta, etc. later in the season. 
I heart tomatoes. I just don't want to look at them for a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment