Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Guest Blog Post...Moving On

Tricia & Stacy
20th Class Reunion~July 2009

Stacy and I have been friends since sixth grade.  We were college roommates (UW-Oshkosh room dogs forever as we like to say!)  Our friendship has been a constant in my life.  Even if there were years when we didn't really talk much, I knew Stacy was there for me.  That's the best part of old friends.  You just pick up were you left off.  Stacy calls us "forever friends" and I agree whole heartedly.  We have watched one another grow, shape, change ~ transform really.  (physically, emotionally and mentally!) We have reunited this summer and embarked on a new phase of our friendship.  (Including a "Girl's Trip" once a year with some of our other besties~Napa/Sonoma '12 here we come!)  We keep reinventing our relationship.  Stacy makes me laugh and challenges me to question the heavy topics. 

Stacy L. McVane
You can check out Stacy's website and blog at http://www.stacymcvane.com/

Here are Stacy's thoughts on moving on...

My friend Lucy and I took a road trip this past weekend from Austin, TX to visit our friends Ben and Jessica in Tulsa, OK. It was a blast and I definitely walked away knowing that I would travel anywhere with Lucy. Many topics of conversation were covered in the sixteen hours of drive time; fitness, nutrition, fashion, Grey’s Anatomy, Bravo TV, relationships, dreams, disappointments, Jesus, music, family, likes, dislikes, fried pies, kolaches, and the list goes on.

Sifting through the many topics discussed, the one that comes back to my mind is moving on; relationships, career changes, different seasons in your life, and whatever is in your heart and mind you feel you truly need to move on from. Edna is one of my mentors. Three years ago after I broke up with my boyfriend of over a year, she gave me a book, “Tear Soup” by Pat Schweibert. She read the book to me like I was a child. I cried and cried and cried. That day I learned that part of moving on is allowing yourself to grieve. For most of my adult life, I thought that moving on was “pulling up your boot straps” and just getting over it. As I choose to go deeper with myself, my relationship with Jesus, and my relationships with others, I have discovered that there is not a formula for moving on. Moving on is a process and every person processes at a different pace. Other things that have helped me to move on are: appointments with a professional counselor, asking people to pray for me, writing, exercising, laughing (at myself and with others), and talking it out with people I feel completely loved and accepted by.

I would like to leave you with some questions I ask myself when moving on: how do I move on? Do I have to move on? What are the consequences if I choose to move on or choose not to move on?

I hope you are able to move on in every aspect of your life. Charlie Brown says his life goal is to be outrageously happy, and I concur. After all, who knows what’s next for you!


This is what Stacy has to say about herself and her life:
Inspire. Empower. Share.
I love to share with groups of people; to Inspire you to dream big, to Empower you to become better in spirit, mind, and body; and to challenge you to Share what you have learned with others. Some of the topics I am passionate about are: health and fitness, relationships, leadership, communication, and conflict resolution within any environment. From a small business to a church to a leadership development conference to a health and fitness seminar; I would be honored to help challenge you and your team to soar to new heights. I also love to mentor young women and am available for one on one mentoring or small groups. I have been on staff at my home church, Shoreline Church, in Austin Texas since 2002. I am the Event Planner. I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh with a bachelor’s degree in science: Speech Communications major/Organizational Communications minor. Please email me stacy@stacymcvane.com if you would like me to share with you and your group.

Thanks Stacy!
June 2011
40 and Fabulous!
The best is yet to come....

2 comments:

  1. Stacy, you are the best example of moving on and being stronger for it...and funnier! Always a blast....always inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to remember the phases in moving on, loss and grief being a very important one. PS - Tear Soup is AMAZING! Stacy gave me a copy a while back and I gave a copy to my mom when my 8 year old sister was diagnosed with cancer. Great blog, Stac!

    ReplyDelete