Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Gift to Self.....

I remember being obsessed with Avon "Soft Musk" perfume in middle school.  I love musk of any kind really.  Deep, woodsy (non-flowery....gag....barf) scents.  Yes, I even adore patchouli.  (Since I'm not a dred-headed, non-showering stinky college student I can pull if off)  Or at least I think I pull it off!  My brother in law hates this smell.  It makes him gag.  But I still wear it and he still loves me.  He just calls me dirty hippie.

Meet Tom Ford.

So imagine my interest when I came across this pure musk by Tom Ford.  I recently watched the Visionaries show on OWN featuring Tom Ford.  These Visionary shows are fantastic.  In 1994 Tom Ford became creative director of Gucci and basically brought it back to life.  He is a driven perfectionist.  Since I can't afford (or wouldn't want to afford them anyway!) his clothing this is the next best thing.  

But here is the REAL reason this perfume is now in my possession.  It was a killer deal.  (Who loves a deal more than me?)  1.7 oz of this magic potion costs $195.  (You can order it here from Nordstrom.)  And if you know me at all, I find $195 for perfume absurd!  I got it for $34.50 at my local resale shop.  Brand new!  On "pink Friday" (as the store was calling it!!!) they had an addtional 25% off the entire store.

And what is the difference between perfume, eau de parfum, colonge, etc.?  I've never known.  So if you care....this is huge stuff here people.......Forget about holiday cards, shopping, decorating, cleaning, cooking, etc.  This is life changing.  right here.  right now.  (You can find yourself lost in the world of Us Magazine online in the "stars are just like us" photos are you can use up the next 30 seconds of your life reading this!!!!)
  • Perfume, also called extract or extrait perfume, can include 15-40% perfume concentrates. This is the purest form of scented product and is the most expensive as a result.
  • Eau de parfum contains about 7-15% perfume concentrates. This is the most popular and common form of perfume. It provides a long-lasting fragrance and generally doesn't cost as much as extract perfume.
  • Eau de toilette has around 1-6% perfume concentrates. This makes for a light scent that doesn't linger as long as the more intense versions. It was originally intended to be a refreshing body splash to help people wake up in the morning.
  • Eau de cologne is sometimes used interchangeably with the term eau de toilette. However, the concoction began as the name of a light, fresh fragrance mixed with citrus oils and was made popular by Napoleon. Some perfumers today have a version of this called eau fraiche.
So now you KNOW!!!   
And for the record, Prada amber perfume is my signature scent.  I continually purchased perfume that I thought I liked only to end up hating it.  My BF Bern gave this to me as a gift a few years ago (she keeps buying it for me too!) and said "This is your signature scent now.  Stop it."  It does seem crazy that a friend could buy perfume for you, as it seems so personal, but she knows me well!  One of my favorite lines from her is "well that smells like ass!"  Bern's signature scent is Angel by Thierry Mugler.  My mom's is Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel.  And speaking of crazy deals, I found a huge brand new bottle still in the packaging for $5 for her at a garage sale in my neighborhood!!!!  (retails for $115!)

What is your signature scent?  Have any holiday gifts to SELF ended up in your shopping cart?  

2 comments:

  1. Um... ok I do the same thing or did at least. Buy a new scent that I think I love only to come home and HATE IT!! I need to stick with Chanel no 5... although last week I tested no 19 and loved it. It's on my list so maybe someone will get it for me. Hopefully I don't end up thinking it's foul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of smelling like ass...do you remember the time we tried patchouli on me? Garden soil and ass mixed together is what my skin did to it, and I really like it on other people. OR, at least I like the memories of dorm parties and such that it brings back.

    ReplyDelete