Thursday, November 3, 2011

Greatest Wedding Invite...

Two weeks ago the hubs and I celebrated our 16 year anniversary.  Wow.  To think how far we've come and how much of the race we still have left.  Because this is a marathon you know!  I am thankful that I married the right person.  I got married very young (23!  Yikes!  I would freak if Lauren wanted to get married at 23!) and the odds were probably stacked against us.  Only now at the age of 40 am I really even beginning to understand who I am or the person I am becoming.  One thing I know for sure about marriage is that you have to be willing to ignore some things, forgive some things and laugh a whole helluva lot about some things.  You have to be willing to run the race even when your legs ache and every part of your being says "stop!"  I don't know about you, but in my book 72 days of marriage means you are just getting started!  Oh Kim K, I'm not sure you wanted to be in the race in the first place.  

I bought a "Sweetest Day" card for the hubs because in 1995 on Oct. 21 it was Sweetest Day. I also really liked what the card said. I also liked that it was .49 cents at the Thrift Village.  I don't buy cards for him!  But if I'm in this race I should, right?  Unfortunately, I forgot to give him the card and found it in the drawer this morning!  So to risk all of you thinking I'm a silly sap, here is what the card says:


The Meaning of Love (oh, lord....help us all!  Is this what I've become????)
Someone who makes you feel good about living,
Who brings out the you who is joyful and giving~
This is the meaning of love.
Something that gives you a chance to be strong,
or trust in another to help you along~
This is the meaning of love.
Somewhere that you feel like you've been forever-
A place where you're growing and learning together-
This is the meaning of love.
With you, I've found the someone who accepts me as I am,
yet helps me become a better, more fulfilled person.
With you, I've found the something that allows me to be strong, 
yet gives me comfort and support whenever I need it....
With you, I've found the somewhere that makes me feel sheltered and secure,
yet free to grow and develop on my own...
With you, I've found what is seems I had been looking for forever- (at the age of 23! HA!)
the beautiful, and very real meaning of love.

So I'm going to go vomit now.  Just kidding.  It's kind of like when you go to somebody's wedding and hear the vows and celebrate that ridiculous newness and you feel all warm and fuzzy and have a new burst of love in your heart for your spouse.  Memories can do that to you too.  And we/I need to reflect and pause once in a while because in this life I'm living filled with the same crumbs I vacuum up daily, or the dishwasher I unload or the laundry basket I lug up the stairs, or the groundhog day minutia, I have to CULTIVATE THE JOY people!!!!  

And the fact that I received not one stinkin' acknowledgement whatsoever from him on this 16th year of wedded bliss (NOT!) is perhaps the reason I subconsciously forgot about that card.  But it was a good thought y'all!  I'm gonna go cultivate a glass of wine now.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful I shared the poem!  I'm really an evil bitch.  (Name the actress from a popular movie that I was obsessed with called Weird Science who stared in that Pantene commercial and later could be found on Celebrity Fit Club on VH1.
Sometimes we have shadows...
Sometimes you listen to him when he tells you to 
move your arm so the shadow goes away.

1 comment:

  1. Wow I can't believe you have been married for 16 years, incredible, how time flies. I am so happy you have such a wonderful marriage and two adorable girls. I wish you many more, Love Anne

    ReplyDelete