Monday, November 7, 2011

My List...


On Sunday I got to spend the entire glorious day away from my house, hubs and the kids.  Every mom needs this once in a while and coming on the tail end of Lauren having three days off of school plus the weekend, I really needed this. Sometimes I don't even realize how much I need it until after my alone time has been had!  It's like a great big sigh of relief and better parenting when I return.  I've been eliminating Evan's naps lately just so he'll go to bed at the same time as his sister, and by the end of the day I've had my fill of that beautiful boy!  If I nap him, he typically can sleep up to three hours and then won't go to bed until I do!  No thank you!  I need that wind down time at the end of the day.  Tonight I said a big wonderful goodnight to that child at 7:30 pm.  Whew!

While spending the day with my gal pals for a baby shower for one of our wine club gals, we got to talking about the little things (that are really huge things) on your child's path to success.  I am more than sure that two main things in life equal sure-fire success.  One is self esteem and the other is being a good reader.  Self esteem is the quintessential "get out of jail free" card in life.  Without it, you find yourself lost in a sea of possibilities...both good and questionable.  Even with it, you can find yourself astray.  However, if you make a  misstep or fail or lose your way you can shake it off much easier if you have self esteem to fall back on.

The reading thing.....well, as an avid reader....a reader who can still get lost in a book and has since I could read, there is truly no greater joy.  You can escape in a book.  You can find yourself.  You can investigate, discover and navigate with a book.  And academic life is filled with nothing more than "read this" and write about it.  College is filled with "read the next three chapters and I'll see you next lecture."  

So after my life changing proclamations of self esteem and being a good reader, one of my oldest and dearest pals stated, "and being a true friend."  Very interesting!  I had to sleep on this one.  Another friend with a Kindergarten daughter said that parent-teacher conferences revealed that her daughter "is a friend to everyone."  Does this friend stuff really equal success?  Can I add it to my list?  

While on a lovely long walk today with Evan I thought about how my life has changed because of the friends I have made in my life.  I would be nothing without my friends.  (I am lucky to count my mother and sister as friends)  They make such a significant difference in my world.  I never knew I needed a neighborhood pal until one knocked on my door.  I never knew I needed a once a month something to look forward to until a friend included me in wine club.  I never knew how much my daily job could improve just by having a friend to work with or eat lunch with.  Friends soften the rough edges of life.  

Psychology Today's blog by Alex Lickerman, M.D., entitled "Happiness in this World" Reflections on a Buddhist Physician,  states that what makes a friend worthy of the name are: a commitment to your happiness, not asking you to place the friendship before your principles, and being a good influence.  Being a stay at home mom can be rough.  Some days a phone call can be a life line.  

One true friend can change your life.  Being a true friend can change your life. 
I think I'm adding it to my list. 

Lauren is in Daisy's now and they sing "make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold" at each meeting.  It warms my heart.  That sentiment certainly rings true. Chances are, if you are reading this, you probably consider me a friend.  I thank you for reading my blog and supporting my endeavors.  I couldn't do it without you.  (and it sure wouldn't be any fun!)  I am glad we are friends. xo

1 comment:

  1. Have recently been thinking about how thankful I am to have reconnected with a two high school friends. Deeply beautiful women. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You'll meet them soon. : )

    ReplyDelete