Monday, November 14, 2011

Thoughts on Report Cards....

Dear Mom and Dad,
    Today my teacher will be giving you a "snapshot" of me.  This picture will be a time exposure of me that's been developing during the past weeks.  Considering my many likes and dislikes and my mood changes from day to day, I think it's a pretty good likeness of me.
    When you see my snapshot, remember this is a report of someone near and dear to you.  So, please don't worry if you see a blemish.  I hope you will accept me as I am
    Please do not picture me as being better than all the other children.  Remember that all children do not learn to walk or talk at the same time, nor do they learn math and reading at the same rate.  I ask you not to compare me with my brother, my sister or the child next door.  You can set realistic goals for me, but please be careful not to push me to succeed at something that may be beyond my ability.
    I want you to understand that my report card is a picture of my school progress.  When you meet with my teacher you will learn many things about my life at school, even some things that may surprise you.
    My teacher knows me when I am at school.  You know how I am at home.  The "real" me is a combination of the two.  When these two pictures become blended, I hope my "snapshot" will be a helpful portrait in understanding me.

Love,
Your Kindergartner

I received this letter with Lauren's report card.  In true form, I cried my eyes out.  This was so helpful and true.  Parents need these reminders.  Love is so blinding.  Especially the ridiculous love you have for your child.  This journey never ceases to amaze me.
It's good to learn these lessons now with sissy.  That crazy boy under the hammock is next.  I feel the journey with him just may put me over the edge.  It has already!


1 comment:

  1. I love it! How thoughtful - what a great idea to share this with parents.

    ReplyDelete