Monday, December 19, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Dates & Water Chestnuts



Here is a simple appetizer that I have made twice this season and it's a crowd pleaser.  A bit putzy, but I prepped these the day before my party.  Take a date (mine were huge so I just cut them in half) and put an almond in the inside.  My almonds were unsalted, but this is a sweet bite, so I don't think salted almonds would be bad.
 Lauren helped with the process...
 Always my kitchen helper!
 Wrap the date stuffed almond with a small slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick....
Next, roll these bites in some brown sugar....
Bake at 350 degrees until the bacon is brown and crispy.
I cannot stand it when the bacon is not cooked enough!
This recipe says you can use the broiler for 10 mins.
I also used whole water chestnuts and wrapped them in bacon too....
And then just for fun (and because they looked so sad) I added a sprinkling of my favorite seasonings...
Penzeys Seasoned Salt and Northwoods Fire Seasoning....
My friend Bobbi gives me Penzeys spices for gifts.  I love them!  I love her!
Here is a photo I snatched from All recipes because in the midst of my party hosting I completely forgot to take a photo of how mine looked!  The date/almond ones were more popular and very well received!  

I also made this Giada De Laurentiis shrimp appetizer twice this season and they are delish!  Polenta Crusted Shrimp with Mustard and Herb Mayo dipping sauce.  I fried them in a pan with olive the first time, which I think I like better, but cooked them in the oven on Saturday per the directions.  (I have a habit of not really reading the recipe!)  I also took a look at the reviews and mixed my polenta with panko, as someone suggested and it adds a wonderful texture.  Don't skip the sauce.  Fresh tarragon (which has a licorice flavor) makes it!

What appetizers have YOU been making this season?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment