Friday, February 17, 2012

Escanaba, MI

Here comes the sun.....(wait for it!)
this just proves how photography and sunshine go hand in hand!
We took a day trip to Escanaba, MI over NYE weekend.  It's about an hour from my Mom's house and hubs has had a strange desire (for years) to check it out.  Just as I suspected:  you aren't missing a thing! Just another depressing, downtrodden city in the U.P.  I wish I could say it was a thriving, booming, lovely little town filled with businesses and shops.  
You must find the beauty in the ordinary.  
Which is what this blog and my writing are all about.
Evan especially loved the boats.  It was freezing as hell.  But we went out for lunch and had coffee and desert at the (supposed) Swedish restaurant in town.  We made the most of it.  There was a Goodwill!  No finds, but a good hunt.  The mall in town is just as pathetic as the one in my hometown of Marinette, WI.  They did however, shockingly, have a Bath & Body Works that seemed to be booming.  And they had a 75% post holiday sale.  (I can find a sale or a bargain in ANY town!)
We received this watercolor from my FIL last year and it reminded me of the ships in Escanaba.  Of course these are not quite the same (ship vs. boat?) but you get the point.
Hubs and I disagree about the overall feeling of this watercolor.  While I do LOVE a good watercolor, the overall theme reminded me of sadness, a lifelong job of busting ass and lots of time spent away from the family while trying to make ends meet.  Hubs said he saw some retired boats and the people behind them moving on from a happy, successful career.
This is why I love art, in general, of any kind.  It is completely subjective and automatically initiates a conversation.
This is the Jan-Van Cover.  I would love to think this is the boat owners daughter or wife or beloved.  (One can never give up on the idea of romance!)
 Painting by GR Faust.  I couldn't find anything about him online.  This painting was purchased at auction.
I especially love these nails in this board.

Happy Weekend!  No school today or Monday for my kids.  I hosted a fabulous tea party today for my friends and seven of Lauren's girlfriends.  A lovely post to follow next week but let's just say I am so thankful for good friends, good children, good food and good memories.  We had a lot of laughs and some miracle of miracles occurred and after we served the little dressed up ladies they retired to the basement for barbies and they DID NOT interrupt while we ate lunch!  

Like I always say, it's the little things in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment