Monday, February 13, 2012

How to fake a California Pizza Kitchen Pizza....

Buy a potato, mushroom and spinach pizza by Archer Farms from Target.  (there are many delcious varieties to choose from)  This baby was on sale for $2.99 and I had a $1.00 coupon.  Therefore, my choice was easy!
Drizzle a little olive oil and some balsamic vinegar on the top.
A little salt and pepper wouldn't hurt either.
And maybe a little crushed red pepper flake.
I like to show you the "cast of characters" which I think is quite genius.  I'm gonna go trademark that in regard to recipes.
I also happened to have a few remaining slices of Bel Gioioso mild provolone cheese slices (aged for 60 days for flavor, as the packaging says!) so I decided to use them up.  They were getting a little dry around the edges.  Another awesome Costco purchase.  There is just something about sliced cheese ready to go directly onto a sandwich.  No cheese slicer needed,  It makes me happy.
I tore up the slices and placed them on top.  
Bake according to directions on box.
Glorious right?  But we are just getting started.
Now you might look at this slice of pizza and think to yourself, "that looks upside down."  Yep.  It is.  AND if you had the kind of three-year-old child that I have and had the kind of day I've had with him, you'd say to me, "You know what?  Just leave it.  It's all good.  I barely noticed!"  So thank you for saying that to me.  I can feel okay about NOT changing the pizza photo!
Now we are about to get serious.  Take some greens.  Any kind will do.  This happened to be in my fridge from Costco.  I've been making salads a lot lately.  I made an awesome salad for wine club and I put blueberries in it.  I'm just that radical with my salads.
Put some greens on top of the pizza slice.
I was feeling a little Caesar-ish so I used this dressing.  But I'm obsessed with Newman's Own salad dressing (of any kind).
Drizzle away.
Looks good right?
Now, this whole scenario would be best served if you were alone, I repeat, ALONE in your house.  And maybe you could grab a book or listen to your favorite music, or just sit and eat in silence.  It's a dream people.  I am never alone in this house of mine.  Everyone tells me that I'm going to miss these years of fingerprints and yelling and crying and three year old tantrums.  "But I want to do it!"  (That's my three year old telling me that HE wants to open the door, close the door, open the drawer, shut the drawer....OMG hurt me!")
Pour yourself a glass of wine.
ENJOY!
What I love about California Pizza Kitchen pizzas are the salads put on top of the pizzas.  It's the best of both worlds.  It's like soup and salad.  Or soup and sandwich.  So tasty!  And you don't have to decide which one to order!  When I first met my husband he taught me how to make "garbage pizzas" which are any kind of frozen pizza loaded with anything you can find in fridge and pantry.  We make them to this day.  I love them.  

My friend Kelly makes a frozen pizza with sauerkraut on it.  And now I'm just realizing that I've never made one.  ever.  And that is shameful.  Kelly and I are big sauerkraut lovers.  We have even discussed the concept of drinking a little of the juice out of the sauerkraut can.  (for those of you who hate sauerkraut, I apologize for this description and I know you just puked in your mouth) 

And I'm going out to dinner tonight.  Amen.  This momma needs a kitchen break tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Love the upside down pizza pic, it is cool and artistic! I love all the pics you include, but the drinking of the s kraut juice????? That might be too much! Sick and wrong both of you....Kelly... ;) loves! BeBe

    ReplyDelete