Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Preparations and Reflections....


Easter Prep 2012
Have you ever noticed that the little things in life are made better when throw some friends into the mix? 
We dyed our Easter eggs yesterday with my neighborhood gal pal and her children.  We boiled up large batches of hard boiled eggs, met at my house and set up shop.  Newspapers covered the table (Ashley gets MVP for that one!!!) and the kids got busy.  The excitement factor was HIGH!
 Getting creative...
Ashley and I said we only wish we could do our own dozen eggs without kids around!  I realized we need some creative outlets.  We need craft night with our women friends.  We need to release all that crafty energy we contain.  Making some Stamp'n Up Cards (I have $100s of dollars worth of supplies!) or making some pottery.  Women need this!  It helps us restore ourselves, helps us to become more of who we really are so we can return to our homes and husbands and children with a fresh perspective.  I'm on it!  My wheels are spinning with the next grand plan!
 Evanson enjoyed EATING the eggs more than dyeing them!
 Sweet Lou....
We turned our backs for like two seconds and Evanson dug out the colored tablet and put it in his mouth. (I mean, duh!  we leave an almost 3 year old alone with a small cup of dye?!  What did we think would happen?!)  Ashley and I are are pretty chill.  This makes anything we do more relaxed and special.  Sure, I'm a big "yeller" mom and this whole process without her here would have been one big potential for yelling and frustration, but throw in a friend and everyone is on their best behavior!  This is nothing a good soak in the tub won't fix!  Ashley said, "Hey, good thing we are doing this today so Easter photos will be okay!"
Ashley had a variety of kits containing different stickers and markers and I had glitter and some metallic paper technique that didn't work. (but man did I want that to work!)  But the kids had a blast.  Give some kids free reign on getting crafty and don't care about any messes and watch magic happen!  I love having a house that is truly a home.  Opening my doors and my heart to new experiences shared with people we care about.  I always dreamed of having a big house.  This must have been the reason why.  When we tell people our guest rooms and beds are always open we really mean it!
Eating yet another egg!
 Deep in craft....
 Glitter-ific!
 Beauties...
 Special details....
I love putting the colored eggs back in the container and having all those little bits of color add to the design....
 Evan Reed put all the googly eyes on his egg.....(which we thought was hilarious!)
I had to take a photo of the table when we were done.  I told Ashley my sister would have a panic attack at the mere idea of this!  The kids finished up with eggs and headed outside while Ashley and I sat at the table talking about life and all the great ups and downs that give structure to our families.  It was the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

EASTER IS:
 Vintage Easter cards....
 Deviled Eggs....
DELISH!
Bunnies and Chocolate...

Lots of fun and friends and family tomorrow!
And like 300 stinkin' plastic eggs to fill tonight!!!
(with a glass of wine of course!)

Have a wonderful celebration tomorrow, however you celebrate!

Many moons ago my childhood was filled with Sunday church service and chocolate bunnies, baskets, and the promise of Spring and sunshine ON Easter Sunday, when in reality it was a standard Midwestern cold, gray day wherein little girls wearing white sandals and pastel dresses and white plastic hats didn't really fit the bill.  

I lovingly remember the warmth and smell of walking into Grandma Gretchen Kushman's house and feeling the love of cousins and eating jelly beans and more basket hunting.  (Because every good Easter bunny comes to more than one house!)  I remember the ham and the mashed potatoes and simply ABUNDANCE.  The abundance of love, so much care and attention to details as the table was set with fine china and silverware, crystal glasses and a dinner prayer before biting into the first golden roll with real butter slathered on it.  I cherish my childhood and all it's glory.  I was loved and cared for and each holiday on the calendar was presented to me in a regal fashion.  

As I journey along on this motherhood road, my only hope is that I present to my children new traditions, new ways of seeing and enjoying holidays that they then can interpret in their own fashion and present to their children.  (MY grandchildren!  What a concept!)  Ours do not include church or talking about a man being nailed to a cross and a stone being moved and rising again.  But I hold those ideas deep in the corners of my heart.  My parents laid that foundation for me. It's roots grow deep and long but have branched out in new directions.  I teach my children all these teachings in my own way.  They look different and sound different and feel different.  But it's our way.  This is my family and I intend to rock it out in my own way.  I highly recommend it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment