Thursday, May 31, 2012

Farewell to Kindergarten....

It's been almost a full week since I attended "Farewell to Kindergarten".  I needed a little time to marinate with my feelings.  I am proud, happy and ready to move forward with all the natural progressions of my even-keeled and naturally content and pleased child.  

She has bloomed in so many ways this year.  I know it's simple and silly, but a few weeks ago I was about to take her up for her shower and she said, "Mom, I think I can do it all by myself."  "All" meaning regulating the water in the shower and grabbing her pink elephant towel.  (I'm clinging to that towel people!)  I said, "Okay, if you think you can do it.  Just yell down if you can't."  Of course she could!  And this is just the beginning.  Next week she'll "think" she can just drive a car by herself!  

Side note:  I have very little, if any, ear wax.  Hubs has max wax.  (get it?!)  This child of mine cleaned her ears all on her own without my asking!  I mostly forget about ear wax until I see the big pile of "tater bugs" coming out of their ears, as it's just not on my radar.  Case in point:  the kid's got the responsibility gene.
The hand rainbow made me happy.  No tears yet.  I was choking them back, accessing the room, getting my groove.  "I can do this."  Have I told you that the piles of art and paperwork that come home every week get sorted by "contains a hand print" or "does not contain hand print"?  Hand print always takes home a win for the keep pile!
This is what little brothers do while waiting for the festivities to begin.  That, and eye up the juice box and cookie table and loudly tell me "MOM, there's treats back there!"  Don't even get me started on what this whole gig will be like when he comes around.  You know, my last child....my baby.  
"I see trees of green, red roses too...."  No words or poems spoken by the children here.  Just holding up their hand made sign when it came to their lyric.  Sis had "They're really sayin', I love you."
Evan bounced back and forth between my lap and Dad's lap and standing on chairs to get a glimpse at Sis, or asking me to hold him.  Any other time I might enjoy to hold the little love dog, but I had video and photos to take, tears to hold back and this whole grand moment to be present.  So no, I don't want to hold you honey!
After the marching into the room, the performance of songs, poems, counting, and watching a video of all the children throughout the year.....Put anything to a heart wrenching soundtrack, perhaps a country music song, and I'm ready to lie on the floor and sob...the kids could find their parents and sit with us as the video continued.  
I did my best to be present. Hubs videoed everything while I just focused on my child.  Let this profound moment sink into my skin.  Let it find it's proper place in my heart among all the treasured joys.  Sometimes I can hide behind the camera and not realize the most joy is just taking it all in.
Hubs has a big job.  He travels a great deal for work.  He has major pressure but he doesn't show it when he walks through the door at night.  I prep the kids in advance that "maybe Dad will be at (whatever) event  but if not, it doesn't mean anything."  I rarely complain because I get to live this huge and fabulous life as a stay at home mom and I pick up the slack where ever it is needed.  (Okay, yes I may complain, but at the end of the day I love my life.)  I was saying this out loud and hubs said, "Dad will always be there for you Lauren."  This picture epitomizes that.
And, FINALLY Evan gets his cookie and juice box!
During the video and music that just about did me in, Lauren asked if she could go sit with her friends to watch it.  I said, "of course!"  Inside I said, "NO!  Never leave me!  Never grow up.  Stop now!  Stop becoming this little adult!  Let me rock you and read to you and call in sick to work to hold you all day long!"

In the video they showed the photos of "what I want to be when I grow up" with the caption of  "Future Doctors" or what have you underneath.  (all the while said sappy music is tearing at my heart!)  Lauren was a "Future Vet."  (although she had so many occupations of interest she had a hard time picking so I'm gonna wait and see on that!)
BEST. TEACHER. EVER.  This woman has 5 kids of her own!  (one set of twins) She has some super power in which she claps her hands a few times and the children come to attention.  She never raises her voice.  She is super smiley and happy and energetic and the woman started crying while reading a poem at this ceremony.  Okay, if the teacher can cry, then the mom can!!!!  If I had even a tiny bit of her ability to control my children without yelling, or half her patience, I'd be Super Mom.  
Hand made sunflowers and lady bugs can even make a mom cry on days like "Farewell to Kindergarten."  Construction paper and markers...I can't get enough.
We walked around the room to find Lauren's "Flower."  (please note the red hair)
Oh Lord.  What will I ever do with him?
I love you forever.
xoxoxooxoxoxox.
Tomorrow you will ride the bus to school in the morning as a Kindergartener and come home in the afternoon as a FIRST GRADER!

3 comments:

  1. The school year is already over??? Seems like only a little bit ago she was starting school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. There is a great book (knowing your affinity for good reads) I found at Target and bought it. It's a children's book but, of course, I bought it for me. It's called "If I Could Keep You Little..." by Marianne Richmond and it epitomizes exactly what you express here. Thanks for sharing her journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh Hem, give me a minute to wipe the tears that streamed down my face whilst reading this! I was holding me back as long as I could too and I wasn't even there!!! Awesome pics/post! Love the red haired flower! And lil E apparently does not have a spine! Look how he molds his boneless body to that chair! SNACKS!!! Hahahha! Like Drake says 'I'm so I'm so I'm so proud of u' (he is a rapper so I'm sure ur not familiar but it was playing on my iPod as I read this! Quite fitting!) love u Lalipops!!!! Love BeBe

    ReplyDelete