Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Sound of Colors....

I picked this book out at the library a few weeks ago for Lauren and it absolutely touched my heart.  I just adore children's books.  (and someday I will write my own)  Jimmy Liao is the author and it's magnificent.  Check it out at your local library today.  I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than the kids.  Evan is typically a rascal during reading time and after a few threats of bed he settles down.  Lauren is really into non-fiction and frankly, I don't want to read about spiders or whales at bedtime!  I want something fluffy and poem-y and pretty and sweet and something that speaks to my soul.  (and then I usually cry!)

Description of The Sound of Colors from Amazon:
In this breathtaking, evocative book, a young blind girl travels from one subway station to another while her imagination takes her to impossibly wonderful places. She swims with the dolphins and sunbathes on a whales back; flies through the air with the birds and travels to the station at the end of the world. 

Poetic text is paired with haunting and beautiful watercolor paintings in this incredible book that explores themes of overcoming a disability and the power of the imagination. the Sound of Colors is a magical book that will take readers on a journey unlike anything they've ever experienced before.


It probably touched me due to my current state of mourning.  The roller coaster of rage and sorrow.  I heard something on the radio the other day (I caught the tail end of a ministry program and normally I would have kept scanning) that said it is okay to be mad at God.  That eventually you must forgive God.  Hmmmmm, interesting and good food for thought.  I'm not ready for that yet.  

While at the dreaded mall last week I walked past a kiosk where all sorts of wooden crafts were being sold.  They mostly said "God is Love" and "God Bless You" etc.  In my mind I kicked my foot out and crashed that whole damn kiosk over in a big "screw you" to the Universe, God, whoever.  But instead I just kept walking.  

Yesterday my sister called the airlines to transfer my mom's mileage to her own account.  I had the task of cancelling all the credit cards so she took one for the team and made this call.  (Nobody likes calling the airlines)  After talking to a manager the bottom line was she was going to need to pay a $75 processing fee to transfer the miles.  She requested it be waived and also told them that she should not be penalized BECAUSE HER MOTHER DIED.  Blah, blah, blah later, she ultimately told the person to "GO F YOURSELF."  (But she didn't use F, she pulled out the big guns and used the full word!)

When she called to tell me this story I was never so delighted.  I laughed until I cried and kept laughing so hard every time I retold the story.  In fact, I'm laughing right now.  Grief catches you off guard (I read that this week from a blog I follow) and it's so true.  When you least expect it you are bawling your face off or ready to punch someone.  I fantasized about smashing the Christmas tree right through the window.


Hasn't this been a touching holiday, feel good blog post?!!!!!  Whatever it takes people, whatever it takes.

3 comments:

  1. I've been mad at God many times. Expressing anger is freeing. I've been down on my knees yelling, "How could you?" at Him. And there is something in that state of vulnerability that sets in. He speaks to me the loudest when I am truly with Him and I usually am truly with Him in that moment. You won't have the power to forgive yet. And don't set that expectation on yourself.
    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete