Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Circles of Delight...

This is the wall above the television in our main "family room" in our house.  The room we spend the most time in.  About a year or so ago I found these solid wood plate holders at a thrift store for $2.00 each.  I wasn't totally sure what I would do with them, (there is always SPRAY PAINT right?!) but I knew I had to have them.  If I walk away from something that peaks my interest and doesn't break the bank all I do is think about it, wishing I would have bought it.   
Actually, I didn't know what they were at first but hubs filled me in.  So I don't have any Elvis plates to put in them (that's for you Anne!!!!) but I just felt I could do something with them. 
Hubs finally hung them up for me (I always threaten to do the job myself and that speeds up the process.  He hates the way I hang stuff....no measuring and not using proper nails)  This is another photo of the wall.  I had a vision of hanging them in a line from one wall to the other but hubs nixed that idea as it would take way too long to be precise.  I kid you not, he just randomly pounded nails as he went and created a pattern.  So it has looked like this for a long time now.  Not everyone "gets it" but that is what is cool about decorating in my opinion.
Next enter idea #2:  random fabrics that have been accumulating in my life.  Some awesome vintage ones to boot!
For example, these were pants that my Great Uncle Gerald had that he turned into shorts!  (Apparently my Grandmother hated them!)  My Great Aunt Ruth still had them in her cedar chest and I just couldn't get rid of them!  It screams "I love America!"  (HA!)
This beauty is a round TERRY CLOTH tablecloth with fringe.  (Also Great Aunt Ruth's...the woman doesn't get rid of much and I've benefited greatly from her hoarding tendencies!)
I found this fabric square for $1.00 at a thrift store.
This is another gem from Great Aunt Ruthie.  A vintage flower power print chair cover!
I had a hard time deciding which flower to use!

So here was my basic idea.  I purchased some foam core board at JoAnn's Fabric.  I cut some round circles and covered them in all the different fabrics.
I used clear packing tape to tape the fabric down.
Then I inserted the fabric covered circles back into the plate holders.
And now the empty circles are filled with cheery, funky fabric.  I also used some cloth napkins that my Mom had.  (I didn't cut those so I can use them again) These fabrics make me happy.  I can now lie on the couch and watch T.V. and look at my little circles of delight!  So instead of a pile of fabric in my linen closet, I get to enjoy them on the regular.  (that black thing is a speaker for surround sound........hideous I know....it's a guy thing)
 So this was my first craft project of 2013!


2 comments:

  1. You are soooooo awesome and creative!!! Seriously, I am amazed by people like you! So talented!

    ReplyDelete