Monday, January 7, 2013

Winter Zoo...

Happy New Year Friends!  2013 is upon us, like it or not!  

It's hard to believe the tree has been up and down already.  Each year I think, "Whew!  I survived another year".  And it was hard to decorate this year.  I was happy to see the tree and all the decorations packed away for another year. (too much for my OCD!)  Yet, I blink my eyes and it's time to do it all again.  Despite my disinterest in decorating this season I did enjoy taking out my Mom's nutcrackers for the mantel and many of her special Christmas decorations to use.  I'm pretty sure I can't use the word "bittersweet" enough. It's just the epitome of life right now.  

And now for some holiday highlights:
L & E at the LP Zoo...
Last Friday we packed up the kids and the car and headed to the city for the weekend.  Our intention to spend the afternoon in Andersonville at the Swedish-American Heritage Museum and have some flaming glogg and a delightful Swedish snack before checking into the hotel.  But city be damned, we could not, and I mean, could not find a cotton pickin' parking spot to save our souls!  (Thank goodness we don't live in the city!)  I remember driving to my sister's apartment in the city on Friday nights and circling the block forever and then being ready to scream and give up and she'd take over the search.  She was an expert at finding spots.  
Pink flamingos in December...
So instead we went to the Lincoln Park Zoo because a zoo in winter sounds appealing right?  Hey, there was available parking and the zoo is free!  It actually was pretty cool!
Human exhibit #1...
Human Exhibit #2...
Human Exhibit #3...
Sis is always a good poser...

We even got to see this little baby!  
There were two babies and it was awesome to see the mama's with their little ones.

As you can see, Evan is NOT a good poser for pics
This is kinda hard to see, but he water fountain (or bubbler if you are from Wisco!) has a bunch of bronze animals all "drinking" from the water as well.  So cool!
One would expect to see ice sculptures at a zoo in winter, right?!
Pygmy Hippos are fun!
I spy the abominable snowman!
Mom and Sis with matching boots...
The conservatory at the Lincoln Park Zoo is amazing.(also free)  They had many train sets driving through the mini city neighborhoods.  Evan loved the trains!  

1 comment:

  1. Oh, God....we lived in east Lakeville for 5 years, a half block from the lake (on Cornelia, east of Broadway, across the street from the temple), and OMG the parking nightmare!!! We only had a car for 1 year while we were there, but it was hell on wheels (ha!). I, too, spent many nights circling the blocks looking for spots! Eventually we rented someone's unused garage spot in an apt. building a block or so from our apartment. We were really lucky to find that.

    ReplyDelete